Click to update your ADOBE reader.
Click on the link below to download a specific application:
Family Care Provider- Computer Input / Family Care Provider- Print Only
Support Provider- Computer Input / Support Provider- Print Only
In order to be considered to provide services for our agency you must successfully complete each of the steps below prior to certification.
Meet Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Maintain an emotionally, physically, and financially stable household
- Have one adult in the home full-time or available as needed to provide care for children
- Enjoy the challenges of working with children and youth in your home
Complete 22 hours of pre-service training. Topics covered in this training include:
- Maple Star Program Principles And Licensing Requirements
- Becoming a Member of the Service Team
- Managing The Impact Of A Foster Placement On Your Family
- Understanding Family Systems and Family Mapping
- Managing Loss and Separation
- Understanding the Social Integration Model
- Serving As A Community Guide And Advocate
- Partnership With Birth Parents
- Documentation Requirements
- Review of Policies and Procedures
Application and Practice Scenarios
A completed application and accompanying documentation is required from each applicant
This interactive 10 hour training has been developed by the Crisis Prevention Institute. The Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training Program is facilitated by Maple Star staff and covers such topics as crisis de-escalation, avoiding power struggles and how to respond effectively to the warning signs that someone is beginning to loose control as well as how care providers can deal with their own stress, anxieties and emotions when confronted with these challenging situations.
First Aid and CPR Certification
If you are not currently certified, contact Maple Star staff for instructions on completing this training.
Personal Reference Checks
You will need to provide the names, addresses and phone numbers of four people who have known you for at least two years and can speak on your behalf regarding your ability to provide care. At least three of the four references must be unrelated to you.
Professional Reference Checks
If you have done foster care in the past or worked or volunteered for an organization that cares for children or adults or a closely related filed you will need to provide the names, addresses and phone numbers of at least one reference from each agency or organization who can speak on your behalf regarding performance.
Criminal Record Check
Anyone over the age of 18 living in the home will need to consent to a state and federal criminal records check. If each person has lived in Oregon for the last five years and has no arrest history, this is all that is required. Otherwise, the person will need to submit fingerprints for processing.
This is an extensive interview which gives Maple Star staff members the opportunity to get to know you and your family.
Home, Health and Safety Check
This is used to determine if your home is suitable to provide care and if not, what corrective actions can be taken. This is usually completed at the same time as the home study.
Proof of Insurance
You will need to provide proof of auto and homeowner’s/renter’s insurance in the following amounts:
- Automobile bodily injury liability insurance limit, per person: $100,000
- Automobile bodily injury liability insurance limit, per accident: $300,000
- Automobile property damage liability insurance limit, per accident: $50,000
- Homeowners/Renters personal liability insurance limit, per occurrence: $100,000
Memorandum of Understanding
This is a contract between you and Maple Star, outlining what Maple Star expects from you as a Family Care Provider, as well as what you can expect from Maple Star.